Over the past few weeks* each of us has borne witness to the pervasive racism that has led to the senseless killing of Black people. Ahmaud Arbery, Rayshard Brooks, George Floyd and Breonna Taylor are the most recent victims of a system that has failed to adequately and effectively address inequalities, systemic racism as well as many racial and social injustices.
The University Staff Advisory Committee’s (USAC) mission is to advocate on behalf of staff at The Ohio State University. We see the unmistakable fear and hear the anguish in the voices of all our Black colleagues, faculty and students. We are an institution that strives for inclusive excellence; to fully support our mission it is imperative that we speak out against social injustices. USAC joins the chorus of voices from The Ohio State University that denounce racism, anti-black violence and abuses of power, and we commit to bring about change.
Through our shared governance model, USAC is fully committed to actively work with university leaders and our campus partners to combat, disrupt, and uproot the racist ideas, beliefs, attitudes and actions that perpetuate injustices and inequalities. We will continue listening to those we serve and will develop action plans conducive to long-lasting change.
We invite you to submit comments, questions and concerns directly to USAC through our website to help us become better advocates, partners and allies.
In order to address concerns of social injustice, USAC has determined and is dedicated to the following action steps: USAC has committed to the following action steps to address concerns of social injustice
- Analyze current USAC operations, bylaws and membership:
- Removal of implied biases and outdated language
- Development of action plan to recruit diverse staff to serve on the committee
- Dedicate at least two meetings for diversity awareness training or speaker engagement
- Continue to conduct implicit bias training for entire membership to be utilized during new member and staff senator recruitment
- Plan for a Conversation Series with University leadership focused on diversity and inclusion topics
- Continue to work on pay equity expanding focus beyond gender to include racial inequalities
- Continue partnerships with University Leaders and Committees to address issues of inequities
- Support the work of the Racial Justice Task Force
USAC will continue to advocate on behalf of staff and provide additional resources, updates and progress as we move forward. Check our resources page for additional information.
*published June 2020